Finishing Horizontal Stab

November 9-16: After clecoing in the 905 nose ribs, I riveted them into place. Then the completed front spar/interspar assembly was put into place and clecoed in. Skipping every other hole, I still managed to run out of silver 3/32″ clecoes. I ended up working from one side to the other, moving clecoes to the other side as I completed a section.

Once things were clecoed into place, I began riveting the skins to the flanges of the rear spar, then riveting the skins to the interspar ribs up to the stringers. Then the skin was riveted to the stringers on each side, then the remaining ribs were riveted to the skins. I used the tungsten bucking bar and flush set on the rivets that I couldn’t reach with the squeezer.

I had to drill out a couple of rivets whose shop heads were overdriven and flattened out. And looking back, I should have started riveting the skin on the bottom side of the HS, as the first part of the rivets set resulted in some skin “lumpiness” that I’m not too pleased with. The second side turned out better once I had more practice.

I did finally get in contact with my assigned MD-RA inspector, who informed me that every rivet must be visible in response to my question of how far could I assemble. So again, I will leave the rear spar clecoed into place, and the two inboard HS-905 nose ribs will be left out to allow a clear view of rivets in the front of the horizontal stab. So for now, I’ve put the partially completed assembly on the shelf, but will finish the front spar to nose rib blind rivets once I pick up my swivel nose rivet puller I ordered from Aircraft Tool. There is simply no room for a regular rivet puller when trying to pull those dozen rivets.

Update: After checking in with the Flight Chops RV-14 build here at the CH2A hangar, and recalling what my inspector told me, I decided to finish riveting in the rear spar into the HS. The rule is that every rivet needs to be visible. With the lightening holes in the rear spar, you are able to see all the rivets.

Dimpling HS skins

November 5-6: I taped off the hole locations that remain open, and then dimpled the HS skins. Edge holes were done with the pneumatic squeezer, and the remainder with the c-frame and a hammer.

I clamped the HS cradles to the workbench and inserted the dimpled skins. The cradles were fabricated with plywood from the crate that the kit shipped in and some 2x2s from Lowes.

Then I clecoed the HS-905 nose ribs into place (two on each side), riveting will wait until tomorrow.

More Horizontal Stab and the Pneumatic Squeezer arrived.

So in the last post I mentioned that I needed to order a longeron or flange-nose yoke for my Main Squeeze squeezer from Cleaveland Tool. I got on their website Monday to order and realized that my arms and shoulders were still hurting from using the manual squeezer. So I took the plunge and bought their pneumatic squeezer kit. I emailed Mike and asked if they could substitute the flange-nose yoke for the 3″ yoke that comes standard with the kit, as I already had the yoke with my Main Squeeze. Mike emailed me back right away and said it was no problem. I completed the order with Annette, and everything arrived Wednesday. I’m 4 for 4 on great service by Mike, Annette and the rest of the crew at Cleaveland!

After getting things set up last night (Friday) I had a cinch job of finishing up the rest of the rivets in the front horizontal stabilizer spar thanks to the new squeezer. I’m looking forward to more rivets to squeeze.

I also countersunk the 400+ holes in both spars and the stringers and prepped both skins today with Prekote and maroon Scotchbrite. Prekote says to prime aluminum within 24 hours of prep, so I’ll warm up the garage first thing in the morning and prime the skins inside and out. And then use the leftover AKZO and a Q-Tip to touch up all the countersinks I made on the spars and stringers.

And my Amazon-provided torque wrench also arrived on Thursday, so I finished bolting the elevator center hinge bearing bracket onto the rear spar, then torque sealed it.

Moving the shop and assembling Horizontal Stabilizer

It’s starting to get too cold to spend a lot of time in the garage working, so we moved the two smaller EAA 1000 workbenches and assorted tools to the basement. I may leave the compressor in the garage due to noise and just run the air hose through the shared wall and into the basement.

I’ve been able to do all my structure riveting so far with my Cleaveland Main Squeeze, which has been worth every penny. BUT. I finally ran into a stopping point with the HS skeleton. The yoke that came with the squeezer is not suitable for riveting around the spar this time. So I’ll need to order a longeron yoke first thing Monday, which means I’m on hold with this portion until it arrives.

Still have plenty to work on, including deburring and priming the skins, and countersinking the two spars and stringers. Hope the weather cooperates for the priming.

Priming Horizontal Stabilizer

October 20: Cleaned all the prepped HS parts with Prekote and plenty of water. Then mixed up another batch of AKZO and primed everything. There were so many parts this time I have to wait to do the skins later.

I had the pieces a little too close together, and had to go back later and touch up some thin spots.